If you work for more than 6 hours a day in the UK then you are entitled to a twenty minute break. This may be a tea break or a lunch break. If you are working a regular 9-5 then you most likely get a half hour or hour break. It really depends on your place of work and your contract. But anyway, the whole point of this post is about making the most of that break.
If you have more than 30 minutes, how can you make the most of that time? This has been something I’ve been aiming to work on for ages now. And when I say ages, I think this was a 2016 new year resolution. Oops.
How can we use that time wisely to work toward some of our 2017 goals..be it to get fit, learn or languages or start a course? Whatever you’re aiming for!
Here are my FIVE things to do in my lunch break to make the best use of my time:
- Walk – There are lots of nice places to walk where I work. I really want to try and walk more at lunch!
- Read – There are literally so many interesting things to read these days. From books to blogs. We are literally spoilt for choice. I love reading the Guardian Netflix and Amazon round-ups. They pretty much give me my monthly viewing inspiration in one place!
- Learn – There are so many opportunities to learn online and at your own pace. I did a write-up of my favourite online courses here if you want to find out more. From TED talks to Future Learn, I share with you my favourite online learning platforms.
- Listen – 2016 was the year I became a bit obsessed with listening to podcasts. I spend quite a bit of time commuting in the car to work. Realising I could Bluetooth podcasts through my car speakers was a revelation. Take a look here for a list of my absolute favourite podcasts!
- Plan. Whether you want to meal plan or blog plan, use any free time you have to plan plan plan!
In early 2016 I did start some of my lunch break goals and I did complete a few. I completed a couple of Future Learn courses on Marketing, journalism and leadership. I also took a Coursera course in nutrition (to fit in with the fun food side of the blog). During my 2016 lunch breaks I discovered some amazing podcasts while walking (and commuting in my car). If you haven’t listened to the first season of Serial then do it. Now! I literally made up excuses to iron so I could nip upstairs for some me time with the iPhone! That all sounds a bit dodgy but I really was ironing while listening to the ins and outs of a US murder case.
So what next? What will I do in 2017 when it comes to my midday break? I really need to move more and in 2017 I want to make it my aim to get up and out, even if it’s just ten minutes. I can fit an inspiring TED talk into ten minutes : )
Basically, I DO have time. It’s how I chose to spend it that makes a difference as to whether I whittle it away on Facebook or decide to learn something.
Do you get a lunch break? How do you spend it? If you like these ideas, don’t forget to pin 🙂